Tiger Tiger Burning Bright

Miscellaneous thoughts and rantings about a New Yorker who moved to the suburbs of pretentious Connecticut.

Name:
Location: Connecticut, United States

I am a mom, a MBA candidate, a financier, a neat freak, a fashionista, a latina, a New Yorker...but mostly I'm just a girl.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Me v. Numbers

I had an earth shattering revelation today. I am not the architect of my own life, I'm more like the effing accountant of my life! Numbers are such a large part of life. They quantify life, they are a gauge of sorts. Numbers, numbers, numbers... 8 hours of work, 23 years old, 1 million dollars, 299,792,458 m/s (the speed of light) . These brain-eating Zombie Numbers are driving me to happy pills! Since the minute I wake up I am all "how many minutes do I have to shower, how many bagels should I eat today, how many hours left till I get out of the third ring of hell a.k.a work, how much are those adorable equestrian boots I spotted in Vogue? But, today it was different today I did my own small coup d'etat, I did not want to count or to know, how many days or months had passed, today I wanted to exist without numbers, without knowing whether I was on target or not. I abandoned numbers, which I soon realized was impossible, and also that numbers don't like to be ignored and actually turn on you and throw tantrums when ignored...For example I refused to look at the time or date therefore I missed the mother effing bus, fortunately my awesome room mate gave me a lift to the train station, and because I refused to acknowledge what day it was because I would have to face another god awful number I forgot to pay my phone bill! When finally it was time for me to go home I couldn't because I refused to pay attention to how much money I had on me and therefore I had to walk to the bank and take out $40 because of the infamously late phone bill thereby making me miss my train, and to top everything off the next train came 40 minutes later...And now for my daily melt down: I hate Connecticut with all my being (that rant on tomorrows post), I hate trains, but more importantly...I hate NUMBERS!!!! Except of course when they are on my side...I can totally buy those boots!! Heh!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

NICE STRONG WRITING... IMPRESSED. I ALWAYS THOUGHT YOU SPOKE VERY WELL AND NOW I SEE YOU WRITE. IT'S VERY DEPRESSING THIS THING WE CALL LIFE. THAT IS WHY WE MUST RAGE AGAINST IT. THEREFORE ENJOY THE BITS THAT REMIND US WHAT IS LIVING, LIKE EAT THAI WITH GOOD FRIEND ON YOUR BIRTHDAY OR DRINKING TO MUCH AT BAR CALLED BLARNEY ROSE.

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I AM A TEACHER AND OCD. MUST CORRECT TYPOS: WRITE WELL, EATING, AND TOO

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very Interesting.

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home